DD214 Form


The DD214 Form is a certificate of release or discharge from active duty.

What is the DD214 Form?

The DD214 Form or Report of Separation is a document that identifies a veteran’s discharge from active duty or if a service member completes at least 90 consecutive days of active duty training. The United States Department of Defense issues this certificate so a veteran may verify his or her military service for benefits, employment, etc.

Your DD Form 214 will include the conditions of your release and other relevant information. For example, it will consist of whether you’ve received an honorable discharge, your date and place of active duty, total creditable service, and foreign service credited.


DD214 Form and VA Loans

VA home loans are part of a military member’s benefits. While the VA loan program does not guarantee a mortgage, these loans have strict eligibility requirements for veterans or those presently serving in the United States military.

The VA does not issue or fund these loans. However, the Department of Veteran Affairs backs this special program, while private lenders, such as banks, issue these mortgages.

To apply for a VA loan, you must receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), also known as Form 26-1880. The Certificate of Eligibility confirms that you have a VA entitlement and qualify for the loan. You may obtain your COE from Veterans Affairs by applying on their website or by mailing your request.

You must submit your COE form along with a copy of your DD Form 214 when applying for the VA home loan program.

For a detailed breakdown of eligibility, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ website.


How to Get a Copy of the DD214 Form

Most members will receive a copy of their DD Form 214 upon release or retirement. However, if you have not received one or have misplaced it, you can request a copy.

You may visit the National Archives Website and request your copy online. Alternatively, you can also mail your request with the Standard Form 180 (SF-180) to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) at 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, Missouri 63138. Of course, you can always visit the NPRC in person or contact your state or county Veterans agency for further assistance.

A spouse or child of a deceased veteran may also request a copy of their loved one’s DD214 Form. This will allow the relative of a veteran to apply for a VA loan.