Why Do I Need a Realtor? Is There a Benefit?

Annamae Last Updated Mar 24, 2020 (0) comment , , , ,

why do i need a realtor

Have you ever considered buying a house but thought, “Do I need a realtor? Why do I need a realtor?”

Whether it’s your first time buying a home, or you’ve done so before, you’ve probably wondered about the importance or benefits of having a realtor to complete the process. Sometimes the commissions paid can seem like a financial deterrent.


Is it Worth Paying a Real Estate Agent or Realtor?

The average realtor, if it’s a buyer’s agent or a seller’s agent individually, will take 3% of the sale price or cost of the home. Sometimes you may deal with a dual agent. A dual agent acts on behalf of both the buyer and seller, who each pay 3% for a total of 6% commission for that agent. Factor in retainers, due diligence, inspections, and closing costs, and the extra amount you’re paying can seem quite daunting. When you consider what you’re paying for, however, it’s actually the best move on your part. What you are paying for is peace of mind.


Importance of Having a Realtor

It may be tempting to buy or sell by owner, but there are a lot of variables to consider that may be inadvertently overlooked in doing so. For instance, a realtor is going to have an attorney to dot the I’s and cross the T’s. A realtor who is diligent and trustworthy is going to disclose any disputed or prevalent issues concerning the sale. These can include right of ways, riparian rights, well-sharing, road maintenance, and foundational or structural issues that don’t meet inspection criteria. When using a realtor, it’s his or her job to research and make you aware, buyer or seller, of the potential issues regarding the sale or purchase.


More Benefits of Working with a Realtor

Also, realtors are often aware of homes that may not be currently listed or have just come on the market. A realtor can take your financial situation, again both as the buyer or the seller, and create a custom plan so that you get the house of your dreams or are able to sell your home for the amount of money and with due process that comes through timely negotiations.


(READ: Pros and Cons of Using a Real Estate Agent or a Realtor)


Realtors have the expertise and extensive data bases to make the sale happen in a timely and satisfactory manner. Realtors handle a lot of work behind the scenes- the legal aspects, the due diligence, the inspections and disclosures, and have the knowledge and skill to negotiate both offers and counteroffers. A realtor who is really worth their salt will keep you calm and informed throughout the process, basically smoothing out the bumps and edges so that you know your deal is secure.


Last words…

It may seem like an exciting prospect to buy or sell a home on your own, but in the big scheme, unless you have a lot of experience doing so already, it’s just too risky. The last thing you want to do is lose money on a sale or end up with unforeseen problems on a new house. So do yourself a favor and hire a realtor. Keep it safe, steady, and predictable. You’ll be glad you did.


Pre-Qualify For The Lowest Interest Rate

Get custom home loan advice from a mortgage expert today.

Get Started Here
FHA Loan Checklist Credit Check